Starting with a great old industrial space as a blank canvas, our goal was to build and equip a studio that facilitates the production and shooting of Tabletop in the most efficient and cost effective manner. It was essential for us to build a studio which is a great environment to work in and by retaining the building’s industrial art deco heritage in the design, we feel we have created not just an efficient shooting space but an enjoyable place to spend the day shooting.
Our location in the funky and arty area of Observatory offers easy access to both major highways and to central Cape Town. This along with our ground floor location, oversized entrances and direct load-in and load-out from the street make for fast and easy set-ups.
- Food Stylist designed food-prep kitchen
- SFX prep-area
- Make-Up & Wardrode Area
- Street-side load in / load out access with designated loading-bay
- Ground floor location
- Adjacent production offices, catering areas and boardroom
- Wi-Fi and Teleconferencing facilities
- Concrete cyclorama and infinity curve with overhead lighting-grid
- 3.6 metre ceilings
- Air conditioning & Extraction Systems
- Natural day-light stills photography studio
- 150 Amps Studio House-Power [charged pro-rata]
- 24 Hours Security patrols plus HD security camera access control
- Fibre Internet Connection - 200 mbs [charged pro-rata]
Today is one of the most exciting times to be involved in Tabletop production.
Massive advances in equipment and Post Production make previously unseen imagery both cost effective and achievable. We offer instant playback of hi speed cinematography in both 2k and 4k resolutions as well as on-the-fly trans-coding to virtually any known video codec or format.
- Latest Phantom FLEX 4K Camera Technology
- Advanced Borescope and Periscope Lens Systems
- Onsite image processing and conversion of CINE RAW digital data
- Custom Fabrication, SFX, Tanks, Rigs and Model Makers
- High Speed Motion Control
- ARRI ALEXA & AMIRA Digital Cinematography [200fps]
- RED EPIC Digital Cinematography - up to 6K
- Glass Filming Oven 5KW ThermoFan with removable 2,5KW overhead grill
- High-Speed Lighting systems
Our kitchen and food prep areas have been designed in conjunction with some of the countries best food stylists. The end result is an efficient and aesthetically pleasing workspace that allows for the most complex of food and product preparation. In keeping with our ethos of collaborative filmmaking, the kitchen is fully integrated into the studio space, providing line-of-sight between camera shooting-stage, the cooks and the clients.
The layout is well suited to show and tells, demos, and stills work - movable food prep tables allow for the ultimate in flexibility.
- Gemini Gourmet Multi Function 70lt Double Oven
- Industrial colour-corrected daylight lighting
- Anvil 6 Ring Industrial Gas Hob
- 2x movable island prep-tables
- 10 running metres of food prep work surfaces
- Industrial extraction and ventalation
- Ground floor location
- Double basin Wash Area with Spray tap
- 4x Chest Freezers
- Double Glass-Door Refrigeratior
You'll find us in Cape Town, South Africa – arguably one of the best & most popular production destinations in the world, proven by the 1000's of international commercial, photographic and feature productions that are produced here each year. Cape Town has locations that can replicate virtually anywhere in the world, all within 2 hours of the city which in itself can do the full range of urban "looks". You'll find beach, desert, agricultural plains, vineyards, mountains, valleys and every type of building - from ultra modern to classic or quaint. Alongside these, you'll find a world class film production infrastructure covering a full range of industry specific services, crew who are non-unionized and rated among the best in the world, excellent production value, a Mediterranean climate and a proven ability to deliver on the most logistically challenging productions.
Grinder Films has pre-negotiated preferential rates with a range of accommodation establishments in Cape Town and can offer many options depending on your budget & specific needs - from private apartments and villas to guest houses and 3, 4 and 5 star hotels.
Or contact email@example.com